Year 5 Curriculum
- During this half term we will be studying the book ‘Skellig’. We will be using our descriptive writing skills to describe different settings and characters within the story.
- We will also be debating whether it is more effective to be educated at home or at school.
- The children will be answering different questions based on the text. These questions will be a mixture of inference and deduction and will require evidence to support their answer.
- Children will be focusing on angles and polygons, both calculating and measuring.
- We will continue to practice using all four operations to solve multi-step word problems.
- We will recap our work on fractions and build upon our previous knowledge when subtracting and multiplying.
- Time and Data will also be covered this term. Here children will be learning to read and interpret different time-tables and graphs.
This term in science, we will be learning about Rainforests. Our main topics are:
- Location regarding the equator;
- Understanding the features of the rainforests;
- Understanding why they have different climates;
- Understanding the Ozone layer and how it is having an effect on living things;
- Deforestation and how we can prevent it.
- We will be learning about being thankful and this is expressed through different religions.
- We will be researching and learning about Frida Kahlo, using her ideas to help inspire our printing work.
- We will be focusing on different team games such as rounders.
- We will also be practicing athletics for sports day.